Introduction - create a copy
Within projects, there might be tasks that are the same. Or there might be tasks that are quite similar to other tasks. The same accounts for projects, there might be projects that occur every month or year. Therefore, in LYNX you have the possibility to copy tasks, projects and workspaces.
This article provides multiple options to copy these different components:
- Copy tasks
- Copy summary tasks
- Copy tasks to other projects
- Copy projects
- Copy projects between workspaces
To copy a task, you can select the task and press: CTRL + C. To place the task, select the place where you want to place the task: CTRL + V. The task will be placed below the selected task:
Remember: when you copy a task, this includes the skills, resources and the dependency!
When you want to copy multiple tasks, you can hold the CTRL-button to select multiple tasks. Or if you want to select a list of task, you can use the SHIFT-button. See the figures below:
When pasting these tasks, they will be pasted as a list. So in this case: Design 1, Hardware 1 and Integration 1 are coupled and will be placed as a list of three tasks.
Copy summary task(s)
There is no difference between copying a task or a summary task. You can copy one, two or even more summary tasks. Selecting and pasting these tasks works the same as normal tasks.
Copy (summary) tasks to other projects
Copying (summary) tasks to other projects works the same as within the same project. You can select, copy and paste one or more tasks into other projects. It doesn't matter if this project is in the same workspace, it can also be copied into projects of other workspaces.
To copy projects from one workspace to another, there are two options:
- Copy tasks to a (new) project
- Select all tasks within a project (CRTL + A, CRTL + C);
- Go to your other workspace and create a new project;
- Enter the (new) project and copy the tasks into this project (CTRL + V)
- Use the copy button
- Select the project you want to copy;
- Click your right mouse button and press Copy project;
- Create a project, and insert a new name for the project (see figure);
- A new copied project is created.
Copy projects between workspaces
Export a project;
- Open the project;
- Click 'File' and 'Export to file';
- Select the:
- File type (LYNX XML file or MS Project);
- Included Resource assignments, there are three options:
- Don't include resource assignments;
- Export skills instead of resources;
- Export both skills and resources (not supported by MS project).
- Save Folder;
Import a project;
- Open the preferred workspace;
- Create a new project;
- Select the tab 'Template'
- Select 'Create a new project from a file';
- Click the three dots to select the project from the folder;
- Open the general tab to change the ID and name of the project;
Important! MS Project is the standard file type, select Lynx xml to open LYNX projects. See below:
It is possible that the target space doesn't contain (some of) the imported skills and resources. To solve this issue see the paragraph: Handling import conflicts