In this article we will guide you through LYNX Configuration, to allow you organize and make any change to Your Personal Task Manager per your preference.
We will address the following topics:
- How to organize your task in Lanes (LYNX TameFlow) or Workpackages (LYNX)?
- How to customize Card types and/or create new Card types?
- How to customize Streams and Boards?
Definitions and Terminology:
- A "Lane" in LYNX TameFlow is the visual representation of a "Workpackage" initially created in LYNX
- A LYNX Workpackage needs a LYNX Project ID. A project, like a Marketing Project can include multiple Workpackages, to be visualized in separate Lanes in LYNX TameFlow
To start the customization process open LYNX from you apps list and login with the same Login Credentials, as you have used for LYNX TameFlow:
After login the following "LYNX My activities" screen will be displayed, showing three workpackages, part of the Initial Set-up and also the configuration wheel in top right corner:
Organizing your work
Example 1: Split Personal Work by Type (Add a "Private" Workpackage)
In your initial set-up there is just one Workpackage (Lane) holding all your "Personal" Cards. However, Cards may also cover private task or activities, which you may want to manage in a separate Workpackage or Lane.
You can add a new Private Workpackage as follows: :
- Open the current Personal Workpackage via My activities. Just double-click on "Personal"
- Select Project Portfolio view and select the Template section
- Open the Template and copy (CTRL C) the Workpackage name: "Workpackage with sizing in hours (Output)"
- Go to your "My personal tasks and paste (CTRL V) the copied Workpackage, just under the "Personal"
- Rename your Workpackage in "Private" and "Not-Private"
- Check if both Workpackages appear as Lane within LYNX TameFlow
The following video illustrates the steps listed above:
|A little background info about pre-configuration included in a copy: the Workpackage is already activated (status = started), which triggers displaying your cards on a Board.|
Example 2: Create a new set of Workpackages (= LYNX Project)
If you want to add a new set of Workpackages, belonging to the same new project, you can do this in the steps mentioned below.
We will use the following example:
- set-up of a "New Improvement Project", containing two Workpackages:
- Internal Work (Sizing in Hours) - 80 hours
- External Work (Sizing in Hours) - 120 hours
The following steps are applicable:
- Go to Portfolio View (Not Started). Add the "New Improvement Project" for holding your set of new workpackages. Create a Project ID of your choice
- Open the new Project, that you just created
- Select the Project Portfolio view again and select the Template section
- Open the Template and copy (CTRL C) the Workpackage named: "Workpackage with sizing in hours (Output)"
- Go to the new project and paste (CTRL V) the copied Workpackage two times
- Modify the size in hours of each Workpackage (80 and 120 hours)
- Activate the new Project by changing the status from Not Started to Released (just ignore request for a buffer for now)
- Check if the new project and both Workpackages appear as Lanes within LYNX TameFlow
The following video illustrates the steps listed above:
Customizing Card Types
Example 1: Adding a field to or changing fields of a Card Type
In the following video we illustrate the following examples:
- Review configuration of already existing Fields, via the Unit of Measure Table
- Standard Field
- Workflow Fields with Picklists
- Sizing Fields
- Date Fields
- Rename a Field
- Add a new field with a picklist to a Card ("New Field")
- Unit of Measure Table
- Card Custom Fields
- Card Type Properties
Example 2: Add a new Card Type
The following video covers adding a new Card type and the process of selecting fields to be displayed. The process is as follows:
- Open the Card Type Editor
- Add a new Card Type, using the +
- Select the fields that you want to show on the new Card Type
- Select the "Special Property Type" for the field "OrgEst" (Value holds the original estimate of the card)
- Save and Done
Example 3: Add the most Frequently Used Fields on Top
The most frequently used fields on a card are probably a Workflow Value and a Due-date. You may want these fields to be positioned on top of the list of fields displayed on a card, especially if the height of your screen is somewhat smaller. In this example we are going to put multiple fields on top of the list:
The process is as follows:
- Open the LYNX Configurator
- Choose Customer Fields, select Card Custom Fields
- Move the fields that you want to reposition with the arrows up/down
- Check the result
The new sequence is now:
Updating Card Buffer Management
You can update the Card Buffer Management Behavior via the Card Type Buffer Management tab:
The Card type "Activity Short" has currently a Services window of 3 days. The Card type "Activity Long" has a Services window of 10 days.
Customizing Streams and Boards
Review of Initial Set-Up
As a first step we recommend to just review the current configuration of the set of Streams and Boards within Your Personal Task Manager.
A lot of information about how to configure Streams and Board you can already find in this section and its articles: Make a Jumpstart with LYNX TameFlow!
Adding or Changing a Workflow
A workflow is defined by a Status or Workflow field in combination with a picklist. The Dashboard Workflow Field has for example the following Picklist Values in the Unit of Measure table:
You can insert and update any picklist value and also change the sequence of the fields using the arrows.