We have developed an API to make it possible to extract data from Lynx. This API can be configured in multiple ways, which will be explained in this article.
To extract this data from the application the Command Prompt is used, which can be found on your computer by pressing the Windows button and type: "Command Prompt" and open the program. Then you have to do some research and configurations before we will use the Command prompt:
- We have to locate the Lynx application. By left clicking on the Lynx application in the toolbar and then left clicking again on Lynx, you can select Properties. Copy the line behind Target:
- Example: C:\Users\jaspe\AppData\Local\Programs\A-Dato\Lynx\Lynx.exe
- We have to check in the space name of the organization.
- Example: A-dato
- We have to choose a directory where the downloaded files will be placed and how they will be named
- Example: C:\Users\jaspe\Documents\Export_Data_Lynx\A-dato\A-dato.csv (ór A-dato.db)
- Important! There are two datatypes to store your files, change .csv for .db if you prefer a database file.
- Enter you username:
- Example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter you password:
- Example: DataPlease!2022
The following line can be used (change this with the data above) to export the data from Lynx:
C:\Location_Lynx /htmlreport:dataexport /space:"spacename" /filename:C:\Location_Data_Export /user:username /password:password
Entering the data that we searched for, will give the following command line:
C:\Users\jaspe\AppData\Local\Programs\A-Dato\Lynx\Lynx.exe /htmlreport:dataexport /space:"A-dato" /filename:C:\Users\jaspe\Documents\Export_Data_Lynx\A-dato\A-dato.db /user:email@example.com /password:DataPlease!2022
This is the standard approach to download data from Lynx. Besides this standard method, we have some configurations that you can use to extract more data, define the separator or change the encoding of the data.
! Extra: Our advise would be to create an extra user account (preferably a Space Owner) within Lynx to export this data. In this way, you don't have to share personal login information with other colleagues. !
Besides the standard data extraction, there is the possibility to make some configurations to the data (extraction).
There are five possible data export configurations that could be used:
- Standard Data Export
- Data Export with History
- Data Export with Project Tags & Resource Availability
- Full Data Export:
- Custom Reports:
- htmlreport:"A-dato CCPM"
- htmlreport:"A-dato Throughput"
The last given option is the possibility to extract Custom Reports from Lynx. The addition of a specific name within the two quotations ("...") will extract that specific report from the application.
This only accounts for a csv-export:
When using the csv-export, you have the option to choose the separator between the data. There are two options:
- Tab, add: /seperator:tab
- Semicolon, add: /seperator:semicolon
You can add this to the end of your command line, including the space in front of the slash. If you don't use this addition, the default is the tab seperator.
The data can be encoded in multiple ways. The addition of:
will determine the coding for the data. An example for Unicode UTF-16 would be: /encoding:1200
The standard data export includes all released projects. To include all projects from the space, you can add:
to the command line.
Using the Windows Task Scheduler (to automate)
To automate the extraction of data from Lynx, the Windows Task Scheduler can be used. Therefor, you can follow the following method:
Create a .bat file that includes the command line:
Open a text application (for instance Notepad), copy and paste the configured command line into this file and press save;
This file will be stored as a .txt file. Rename this .txt file to a .bat file.
- Start de Task scheduler application in Windows
Press Create Task... (on the right side of the application) and configure a new task.
- Open the Actions-tab and press New..., and configure:
- Action: Start a program
- Program/script: Browse... (select the created .bat file)
- Use the Trigger-tab to determine the timing of the data extraction.
Please sign in to leave a comment.