Introduction Load Factor Scheduling
LYNX is supporting the following scheduling engines and buffer management options:
This article explains the LYNX Load Factor Scheduling Engine in more detail.
How to switch on the LYNX Load-Factor Scheduling Engine?
The following two steps are applicable:
- The Load Factor Engine (LF Engine) is automatically activated, if the Critical Chain Engine is de-activated via project properties
- Also at space level the Load Factor Engine need to be enabled.
- By default the LF Engine is switched on if you have downloaded a LYNX Demo Space
- If you have created a new empty space, the Load Factor engine is still disabled. In this case contact A-dato to switch on the Load Factor Engine for the space concerned.
If you want to check if a the LF Engine is switched on, just release a sample project and verify if you see the Load Factor priority indicators, as in the picture below:
LYNX Scheduling Engines - Implementation options
The following implementation options can be considered:
- Critical Chain Scheduling only
- Load Factor Scheduling only
- Combination Critical Chain Projects and Load Factor Projects
When to consider Load-Factor Scheduling?
As alternative to, or next to Critical Chain
The following considerations are applicable:
- Operational profile and Project Characteristics:
- Many (smaller) projects with a higher due-date tolerance and/or a very dynamic pipeline
- Project structure(s) typically do not allow to identify a connected critical chain. There are time gaps and phases with “breaks” in between
- Priority system for regular work and individual tasks (e.g. services, support, maintenance)
- If you want to apply automatic multi-project scheduling and resource assignments
- Implementation Considerations
- Easier point of entry, for companies who are used to the traditional Microsoft Project world
- Scope of the implementation is focusing on portfolio Scenario Planning
- Can you do both? YES!
- Consider to combine CCPM with Load-Factor scheduling, see example below
In the picture below tasks from CCPM projects and Load Factor Projects appear on the same task list, via My activities:
Download LYNX Load Factor Scheduling - Critical Path Manual
Download this manual here to learn more about working with LYNX Load Factor Scheduling.